Thursday 31 July 2014

Local art exhibition

This week is the village Feast Week - a 7-day extravaganza of events including a ball, Michael Jackson tribute band and other events in the marquee and sporting events such as cricket and sports day on the green - together with an art and craft show for all ages. I have again entered in to this art show - just returned the "best in show" shield which I won last year, so they can present it to the next overall winner.

Have put in the following two:
My lovely secretary bird, who is now gracing the top of the blog. This acrylic ink painting is officially now owned by my youngest daughter. I had promised to paint her something at Christmas, but due to commitments never got round to it. So I asked her, before the Open Studios, to choose her favourite one - and this is it. Obviously I wasn't going to enter it as it was no longer mine, but she very kindly said that I could put it in and then she'll put it up in her bedroom. I have to say this is a favourite of mine, so very glad it is staying in the family, where I can see it!

The other one is another large acrylic ink painting (on half imperial) of peacock feathers. I had actually shown the girls all the available paintings and asked their opinion on which should go in - and these were the ones chosen.

I went over to see the exhibition yesterday - voting is split into adult and child - so you can vote for both categories. I think that is fair, although still difficult to compare a selection of pretty sophisticated photographs done by older teenage boys with art work done by under 5's!

Having looked at the competition in the adult section, think I am in for a rough ride! Some really fabulous works of art so stiff competition.

The local art club I am a member of also has some space in the village hall to display their work - showing people what we do and trying to bring in new members. I was also asked to put in a few to that - although this is just a display, not for voting on.

For my large piece I selected the nigella and bud - a much more simple flower painting done in acrylic ink and soft pastel.



Having sold my large peacock, I thought I'd put in my little one (quarter imperial) done in acrylic ink. I love the jewel-like colours of peacocks and acrylic ink hues work so well in this regard.


The last one to be put in is the nigella seed heads done in acrylic ink and soft pastel - a small painting done on quarter imperial but cut down from that size a bit.




Exhibition closes on Saturday and presentations are made at the afternoon tea, served in the marquee and eaten whilst sitting by the grass maze on the green - how English is that?





Haven't mentioned the grass maze before. On the edge of the green we have this ancient maze - cut out by William Sparrow to commemorate the restoration of Charles II (where we live was Cromwell territory - there is event a statue of him in the local town).

There used to be loads of grass mazes around the country in Shakespeares time - mentioned in some of his plays. Most have grown over and are long gone, but luckily people in the village have kept this in good condition and it is a popular place for visitors and locals alike. My girls used to try and race each other to the middle - timing themselves to get a better result each visit! They are too old for that now, but I often see other children doing the same!

No comments:

Post a Comment