Thursday 17 July 2014

Another brilliant opening

Nina and I decided to open for a few hours tonight for friends who couldn't make the weekend openings. It was planned as a low-key affair (with some wine and other refreshments - although due to the heat the elderflower cordial got consumed more than anything else!)

Can't believe how well we did. Lots of brilliant feed-back from everyone who came. Nina and I both have to say goodbye to a number of paintings. Leaving me in the next few days are the following:


Last of my teasel series - I love this subject so much and have lots of the seed head in the studio - picked up while on the dog walks. I am definitely going to do more, as they are very popular.

Poppies are also popular and I have done a few. I have made this particular one in to a card and they have been flying off the table stand during this exhibition - maybe due to the World War I commemoration coming up?




My calla lilies - a lovely little painting (small being unusual for me). Going to a home with low ceilings and beams - my other paintings being much too large for that house! Unusually for me, I even used a paintbrush on this one - makes a change from just the dropper from the bottle....








The kingfisher had been fun to paint - even apply the masking fluid with a toothbrush to achieve the look of water dropping off the bird as it takes off! As the new owner said - I must have fun doing these paintings - and I do. I love bright colour, loose watery effects and the unpredictability of this technique. I can never replicate a painting and that is what is so great - keeps me on my toes.



Only problem is - I could now have sold the Lion painting three times, but of course I don't do giclee prints..... I want each painting to be completely original and unique.

Anyway, the exhibition is on this coming weekend too - so a bit of moving paintings around to fill the gaps and fingers crossed the framer is happy to do an emergency order for me, so I have enough to put up! Next exhibition I will make sure that I have a number of spare paintings sitting in the back of differing sizes - just in case. Can't always expect people to leave the paintings in the exhibition until the end of the event, especially if they live quite a distance away. Luckily I do have a couple of really large ones, so that is ok - just need to fill smaller spaces....

No comments:

Post a Comment