Monday 14 July 2014

First weekend of Open Studios

Well - first weekend of Cambridge Open Studios finished. It was really successful and absolutely loads of people through the door - thank you so much everyone for coming to look at mine and Nina's work.

We both were successful in selling paintings - I have now sold the following:


My wonderful lion. I could have sold this a few times, but of course I do original works of art only - no copies - so this is the one and only painting. Going to a friend, so at least I'll be able to see him in the future!

He looked great in the exhibition - right at the end of the stands, sitting on a table - and of course in large format - half imperial, so once mounted and framed, he makes a big painting. I swear his eyes were following us around the room - spooky!


A favourite of my oldest daugher - my full length peacock. Again a really large painting and looks wonderful framed. I was worried when I first started this painting, as I hadn't done something like this before, but luckily the ink went in the right places and it worked! Serendipity or skill (or a bit of both, as it is a water-based medium)?

The last was a little watercolour and ink study. Again this was a popular painting and unfortunately I hadn't put any more botanical style studies in the exhibition. I really like painting in this way, so I am going to do some more for the next exhibition. It is sometimes nice to do a quiet close-up study of flowers sitting in front of you, rather than standing up doing dramatic paintings drawing with the dropper!


The other thing that was really successful was the cards I have made of my favourite paintings. I sold out of certain images and have done a rush order with MOO.com to get a load more before next weekend, when we are open again. People may not have the money to buy a painting, or the space to give it a home, but the cards are a reminder of those paintings and seem to be very popular with the visitors.

Obviously we had loads of friends and neighbours through the door over the two days. However, Cambridge Open Studios is very popular in the area and people travel all over the county to see artists that interest them. We were very lucky that we were obviously on the list of some of these visitors - and due to the posters we had put on the notice boards in the village, we even had people coming in to the exhibition who had just been picnicking on the village green!

Life is quieter for this week, but then we are open again next weekend. Hoping that we get the same sort of numbers through the door. We hardly had time to have any lunch, as there seemed to be a steady flow of people coming and going. We were also lucky with the weather, which stayed fine for both days.

Really enjoyed this first experience of Open Studios - definitely going to do it again next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment