Monday 21 July 2014

Cambridge Open Studios finished for this year....

And now it is all over....

I seem to have been working towards the Cambridge Open Studios for absolutely ages - lots of new paintings done, framing and then setting up the exhibition. One day on from the last open day and it has reverted back to its normal space.

The second weekend was also brilliant - managed to have a little bit of lunch at 3pm (no chance before that) and then more people came - so that was the end of that!

Sold some more of my paintings - for example my Lonesome Pine. This is a screenprint I did of a beautiful tree near my Mum in south Devon. We discovered it on a walk through the fields down to a secluded beach - standing all by itself (hence the title). Every time I walk past this tree, I stop and admire it - the fact that it is still standing even though it is really open to the elements there.



I found that one of the large mounted works I sold - a lily in acrylic ink and soft pastel - I hadn't actually taken a photograph of - which was very remiss of me. I normally keep a record of all my paintings, as I like to look back at them sometimes.


Another mounted work that is going off to another home is my lilies in drawing pen and acrylic ink. I played around with texture with the acrylic ink - using cling film and when dry, did a detailed drawing of some beautiful lilies I had in a vase. Sometimes it is quite nice to revert back to a detailed drawing, as I normally do such free work with my acrylic ink paintings.



Another painting leaving is my close-up of a sea holly. This was done in acrylic ink and soft pastel. Sometimes things just work - and that was the case with this one. The inks at the bottom left-hand corner were dribbling off the page when I was doing it. For once it didn't turn to mud - they mixed beautifully and turned into a wonderful rainbow of colour, so I just left it to do its own thing. Sea holly is a great subject to paint with these inks - the spiky "leaves" surrounding the flower are so dramatic. Luckily the flower stall at the local market quite often has some and I grab them whenever I can.

I am having a few days off from art - to catch up on things I should have done over the last few weeks and haven't had time to! After that I think I am going to treat myself to some sketching sessions. The local botanical gardens in Cambridge are wonderful and, although parking is appalling, it is a great location, especially in the green houses. We also have a great zoo nearby and a raptor centre - so both of those are on my list. I also want to go to some exhibitions in London before they finish. Haven't been to the Matisse Cut-Outs, the Royal Academy Summer Exhibition - and then someone told me of a John Piper exhibition (a small one) in another gallery, so must go and see that. Of course Cambridge Open Studios itself hasn't finished - some artists are open next weekend. This is my chance to actually go and see some other studios. Already got the list together and it seems like I am going all over Cambridgeshire as none of them are near each other, typically.

Will post some of the sketches as and when I do them.... so keep reading!





No comments:

Post a Comment