Thursday 22 May 2014

Back to birds found in Britain

Finished a couple more today - I always have a few on the go, as they take a while to dry before I can do the next stage.

This peacock was done in acrylic ink - Bockingford half imperial (56x38cm | 22x15") NOT surface, 300gsm

I was a bit nervous of doing this one, as I wasn't sure how I was going to approach the wonderful tail feathers. In the end I just went for it (after all - it was only a piece of paper!) I do love the colours of peacocks and the acrylic inks match them very well.


I then decided to do a pheasant - which I see quite often on the fields (and sometimes in the garden, when my dogs aren't chasing them....)

Done in acrylic ink - Bockingford half imperial (56x38cm | 22x15") NOT surface, 300gsm

Again, I was concerned as to how to portray the numerous feathers on the body. In the end I went for an impression of them, using watercolour techniques - giving them a texture rather than detailed feathers, which wouldn't suit the style. 

Tomorrow I'm back upstairs to finish the drawing stage of the kingfisher in flight - fingers crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment