Tuesday 9 September 2014

A few more for the sketchbook

I have been rather quiet since the Open Studios - catching up on all those things that needed doing, but were ignored while I was getting ready for the exhibition! Then of course holiday - but hopefully I'll get back to the drawing board soon.

However, I have done some sketching. One of the most interesting places I have been over the summer months was with a friend I sketch with occasionally. It is called Lyveden New Bield - a National Trust building in Northamptonshire - link here Lyveden New Bield It is an Elizabethan building that was never finished and so looks like ruins.

It was rather a complicated structure to draw - especially as it had no roof, so one could see through the unglazed windows to different areas. This is a pencil drawing of one facade - not brilliant, but I have never said I was good at buildings!

This was drawn from the same position as the previous one, but turning my stool to see another wing.


We then moved to the opposite side of the building to see what would have been the main entrance - although there had never been any steps leading up to it. This sketch was done with my Rotring Art Pen and wash.


Later on in the summer I went to Houghton Mill with the local art club. I have done this National Trust building before - and never again. It is extremely difficult to get a likeness due to the many angles/windows etc. So, while others decided to accept the challenge of the building, I went for a wander towards the meadow leading to the Hemingfords and sat down in the long grass by the river to sketch wild flowers.








You may have noticed that I have introduced colour into these sketches. Although I drew with the Rotring pen, I then added a watercolour wash. One of my fellow club members has introduced me to some amazing watercolours - really vibrant (which is, of course, what I love). I have been anti using block watercolours since the ones I have are really difficult to get enough pigment on to the brush. The brand (which I had never heard of before) was White Knight - link here White Knight watercolours When you unwrap the colours you are immediately aware that they are much more sticky than the normal pans - almost halfway between pan and tube in consistency. Anyway, I think these will feature much more in my sketching....

Don't know what this flower is, but there was quite a lot of it about and added some lovely colour to the area.

When I came back to meet up with the club members, I wanted to do another quick sketch - and found a swans feature lying on the ground. They are simple, but I just love the shape of feathers.

Another club location was Fen Drayton Lakes (an old gravel pit site, which has now been turned over to the public). I just sat and sketched this tiny island in the middle of the lake.

Last week the club met up at Holywell, down near the pub on the river front. Just along the road there are some really pretty cottages, some of them thatched. Attempted this one, but not very successfully. Thatched cottages are very quaint, but they have some really devilish angles!

Returning to opposite the pub, there is a lovely view looking along the river. Occasionally there were people on boats passing by - what a lovely way to spend a Friday morning, pottering along the river. Anyway, apart from them, there was only a few swans and other water birds around. Mind you, the pub landlord did ask whether the seal was around! Obviously not that day, as I saw quite a few fish near the bank and he said they disappear if the seal turns up - understandably....

Only did a couple of sketches that morning - then up to the pub garden for a pot of tea with other members and shared ideas etc with them - very enjoyable.

No comments:

Post a Comment