Thursday 4 July 2013

Update on Open Gardens exhibition

All the paintings to be framed and most of work to be mounted are with the framer - can't wait to get them back in a few days. The order came in from MOO.com for my cards. Just did my favourite pictures from the current work and a couple of re-runs from the previous exhibition that proved popular. Really delighted with the way they have come out and can't believe how promptly MOO deliver - ordered on Sunday afternoon and they arrived here on Tuesday morning (having asked for normal print time and delivery) - and that was fourteen different designs being done - amazing. Love that company!

Strategy meeting with the girls tomorrow - last minute organisation as to what we need to do. The 10-day forecast doesn't quite get to the Sunday, but looks really pleasant for the Eltisley show and keeping fingers crossed for the Hilton Open Gardens on the Sunday. Lots of good gardens being opened - shame I have to man the art exhibition, as I would have loved to go around some of the gardens for inspiration. Anyway, hope there is a good turnout, as the Open Gardens event is raising money for the Macmillan Trust.

Fushia
Acrylic ink and soft pastels

The garden is full of beautiful flowers at the moment, so decided to do one of the fushia.

Tried to do some paler flowers to add some variety to my portfolio, but they really don't work as well in this style. After the exhibition I think I'll have to experiment with watercolour to see if I can do them in that medium. Just bought Jean Haines' book "Atmospheric Watercolours" and haven't had time to look at it properly yet. I absolutely love her loose style, so watch this space for a change of technique! Due to the Open College of the Arts modules I was doing, I haven't done watercolour for quite a while, so it will be great getting back into it again.

One thing I have discovered, though, is that the acrylic ink does work with masking fluid. I wasn't sure it would, as it doesn't with acrylic paint. Suddenly I find I can go absolutely mad with the ink in areas I would normally have to hold back to retain the light.

This is a section from "Close-up of an Anemone". I could never have achieved this effect without the use of masking fluid. 


Using cling film also works very well - especially to "knock back" colours if I have been too generous with the amount of ink on the paper! Used that technique with this anemone painting. I had difficulty in achieving the deepness of the centre without overpowering the rest of the flower and chucked one out as it hadn't worked. Used a couple of deep colours for the centre, but then applied the cling film and left to dry - and hey presto - a wonderful mottled look, that still retains a richness and depth.




Anyway - just over a week to go before the shows - just trying to do a few last minute paintings to mount. Trying to do a few smaller ones, as my paintings tend to be rather large, once they have been mounted and framed - not to everyones taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment