Monday 8 July 2013

Last of the paintings for the exhibition

Right - going to stop painting now and get on with the boring stuff - like printing labels etc! Here are a few of the last ones:

While having a "strategy" meeting with the girls about the exhibition (which was, of course, done over a very nice casual lunch in Sherry's garden), I saw the nigella she had in the garden. Kindly she gave me some, so not surprisingly I went straight home to paint them! Just the right type of architectural shapes for my style of painting. They have a lovely maroon tint to them, which I accentuated for this painting.

Nigella I
(acrylic ink and pastel) 








And here is another one, using different, slightly lighter colours. Think I might do more of these, as I love the shapes.

Nigella II
(acrylic ink and pastel)









Yellow Calla Lilies
(acrylic ink and pastel)

Whilst at the garden centre recently, I picked up a few potted plants with a view to painting them. We had some wonderful white calla lilies in the house recently (from displays done at a recent party) and I had attempted to paint them. Unfortunately I haven't quite worked out how to paint white flowers with acrylic ink, as normally I would use subtle colouring to show shadows of the petals etc. Acrylic inks are wonderful, but subtle they are not! I attempted it, but it didn't work, so thought I would buy a yellow one, as I loved the shape of the flowers and the spotted leaves added extra interest. Definitely think I'll try these again.


Hibiscus
(acrylic ink and pastel)

This was another flower I picked up at the same time. One has to paint the flowers immediately they come out, as they disappear so quickly. I bought the plant with one flower in full bloom, but didn't go upstairs to paint until the next day. The flower had died and the other buds hadn't opened yet! Now, when I see them out, I rush upstairs to capture it!
This is a section of another painting - I was particularly pleased with how this flower turned out.









 

No comments:

Post a Comment