Sunday 18 August 2013

New section in Portfolio

I realised, having done lots of sketching whilst in West Dean, that I actually hadn't got a separate section for my sketchbook work. This omission has been remedied as of today.

Under the Portfolio banner on the top right-hand side of the Home page, there is now a separate link to my sketchbook work. This is generally done whilst I am out and about, travelling on holiday or, in the case of last week, wandering around West Dean's beautiful walled garden. I apologise, this hasn't been done in date order, as locating photos of the work on my computer took rather a long time!

Most of the work is done with my favourite implements - the Rotring Art Pen (with a fine nib) and the Pentel water brush. These are very compact and easy to travel around with. I tried taking coloured pencils or conte sticks, but frankly I don't get much time to sketch, as I am usually with the family, who wouldn't want to hang around for too long. Using the water soluble pen combined with the water brush is ideal - getting the shading and nuances of the object right, which I then combine with a photograph (I always take a compact camera with me) to obtain the correct colouring if I want to pursue the subject later on. If in a complete rush, then I can just sketch with the pen, adding the water washes later on when I have time.

However, a few of the sketches in the new section are using the pen with watercolour. These worked really well and maybe something I decide to do whilst out and about. I have a small travelling watercolour set - maybe I will attempt doing this whilst wandering around, as this shouldn't add too much to what is in my bag.

Anyway - hope you enjoy looking at this new section. I find it really relaxing doing these sketches and plan to do more of them when away on trips.

No comments:

Post a Comment