Tuesday 22 March 2016

Last paintings for Cambridge Drawing Society

I needed to get four paintings done for the forthcoming Cambridge Drawing Society exhibition. I managed to do a few more, so I could choose my favourites.

Here is one of them - it is a caracal, which is a desert lynx. I seem to be enjoying painting exotic animals and birds at the moment. I have been on safari a number of times and obviously taken loads of photographs during those holidays.

"Waiting for his prey"
Acrylic ink on Bockingford 1/2 imperial
535gsm NOT watercolour paper

Painting smooth-furred animals is quite difficult with my technique, but I just love the crazy ears and so decided to give it a try....







While in Africa on safari, I came across the secretary bird. It is a very large and totally ludicrous looking bird of prey. I remember thinking at the time that the head feathers were amazing - I don't think I have ever seen another bird with this type of headgear! Anyway, when I asked a friend yesterday what I should call this painting she came up with the following....

"Bad Hair Day"
Acrylic ink on Bockingford1/2 imperial 
535gsm NOT watercolour paper

I think that is very apt!

Anyway, I have now taken my chosen four paintings to the framer. The other ones (shown in previous blog entries) are "The Old Bull" and "Tiger, tiger, burning bright". For this submission I am keeping to exotic birds and animals, although I think for Cambridge Open Studios I might look into painting British wildlife - watch this space.....


 

No comments:

Post a Comment