Sunday 1 December 2013

Hilton Christmas Fayre - success

Really enjoyed today. Nina and I were pretty successful with the smaller items we had made. As predicted, we didn't sell our larger work, but it wasn't the platform for that type of sale. However, having my mounted work on stands seemed to lure people over - people wanting to know if I had done cards of a particular painting that was on show etc.

We had a good location - away from the door, which was letting cold air in - and great lighting, although we did bring our own as well, plus some fairy lights to make it more festive.

The anemone (picture just in front of me) was particularly popular and I sold quite a few of the cards with that picture on it. The bookmarks went down well and I will definitely do those again for the Carnelian exhibition and Open Studios in the summer. Also sold quite a few of the keyrings. Interestingly, having designed a few Christmas cards, it was my normal cards that sold the best. Lesson learnt - do what you love doing, as it shows in your work. I found it difficult to paint solely to make Christmas cards - I paint what I love and if I decide that it would convert into a card - great - if not I still have a great painting. My best Christmas design has been saved for us to send out to friends and family. I didn't want to sell those at the fayre as some of those people would receive them from me!

What I really enjoyed was seeing everyone. Obviously friends came over, but so many other people from the village I hadn't seen for ages came over for a chat, which was really nice. It was great - lots of people I know in the village had no idea that I painted and it was nice to show them what I did.

Here is a picture of Nina (in the foreground) and I. Nina was obviously dressed in a more festive way than me!

We have already told the organiser (a dog-walking friend) that we are up for next year! There was a discussion about doing this type of sale more often at other venues. I may be up for it, but not too many - I want to stay true to painting, rather go commercial. However, it is a great way of getting your work out there to the general public.

No comments:

Post a Comment